Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Pin + Pan

by Karolina, 4th April 2012

I'm a huge fan of Pinterest - it's great for organizing inspirations & ideas. Finally a can find recipe or DIY I wanted to make easily and without spending an hour going through all the links I saved in Favourites :) Check out my boards- maybe you'll find something inspiring as well.
This leads me to today's subject. I start a new feature in the blog: Pin+Pan.
I will be sharing some recipes I pinned and trying them out.

You're with me?  Then let's start...

And we do actually start with something what might be the beginning - a breakfast.
In my case it ended being a dessert though :)


Oatmeal Honey Waffles
The recipe via Pass the Sushi, originally from Southern Living 2008 Annual recipes
(slightly changed by me - see the comments below)

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup uncooked oats (I used oatmeal straight away, so skipped the first step of the recipe)
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 eggs, separated
  • 1 1/2 cup low-fat milk (I used normal milk)
  • 4 tbs melted butter
  • 2 tbs honey

Preparation:

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F . Line a baking pan with aluminium foil and spread oats over pan evenly. Bake 10 minutes, stirring often, until the oats are lightly toasted. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Pulse oats in a food processor until finely ground, about 30 seconds. (skipped this step as I had oatmeal on hand)

2.Preheat a waffle iron and spray with non-stick spray if needed. (not needed in my case - thanks to Teflon covered waffle maker ;))

3.In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and ground oats (oatmeal).

4.In the bowl of your stand mixer, beat the egg whites at high speed until soft peaks form.

5.In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, milk, melted butter, and honey; stir into oat mixture. Gently fold the egg whites into the oat mixture.

6.Pour about 1/3 cup batter onto waffle press and cook until golden. Serve with butter and syrup if desired.

 I got 7 waffles out of this amount - but I guess it depends highly on your waffle iron.

I served my waffles with :
- Nutella (for my boyfriend)
- Strawberries and sugar (for me)

So, what's my verdict on this?

Great!!!

You know what's the best - it's healthy (definitely healthier than normal waffles)...but without "it's good for you so don't complain if it doesn't taste good" feeling.
Best mark - my boyfriend really liked it and was suprised when I told him (after eating) that actually it doesn't include sugar but does include oats.


 Bon appetit!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome Karo!!! I wish I had a clue around the kitchen to follow your recipes! Yum Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it - it's really not that difficult! :)

      Delete
  2. love your cookings and happy belated happy birthday to you too my dear!

    I feel very honoured and touched by your kind words on my birthday!
    thank you so much for the dedication!
    kisses and have the greatest weekend!

    http://cottoncandy-peaches.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Follow Me on Pinterest
my foodgawker gallery
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More