Monday, July 2, 2012

Red diamonds...

by Karolina, 2nd July 2012

OK, so these are not exactly precious stones and not worth a lot of money...

However, sometimes I think that beetroots (yes,we are talking about vegetables here :)) are like rare precious stones which are not discovered yet. A lot of people don't appreciate their potential hiding under rough skin.
I looooooooooove beetroots. For their hidden sweetness and versatility- how you can match them with different tastes.

Today though , I wanted to give them main role.. And I find that this simple recipe from Jamie Oliver lets them really shine:

Baked Beetroots

after Jamie Oliver's recipe with small changes

portion for 2 people

4 small beetroots (preferably young ones)
3-4 cloves of garlic (amount depends on your love of garlic :))
2 sprigs of rosemary
balsamic vinegar
oil
salt, pepper

Preheat the oven to 200 C.
Lay ovenproof dish with baking paper, so the sides will be hanging over the dish.
Peel beetroots and cut in halves/quarters depending on size (note: sometimes I don't peel them at all, just wash and cut). Transfer to ovenproof dish.
Add garlic cloves and rosemary. 
Seperately mix balsamic vinegar and oil . Pour  over the beetroots. Add salt and pepper.
Fold the baking paper around losely.
Transfer to the oven and bake about 45-60 mins (depending on the size of beetroots - pinch them with the fork to check if they're ready).



You can serve these as main dish with good baguette and salad on the side. Or as a side dish.
Ruby red colour is just amazing, don't you think?


And what is your favourite way of preparing the beetroots?



2 comments:

  1. I've never baked beetroot but clearly I'm missing out. I can imagine how the sweetness works well with the rosemary.

    I usually juice them raw with carrots and ginger for a nutrient-dense, sweet juice. Do you juice much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I didn't try to juice beetroots yet. Sounds good though with sweet carrots and fresh ginger!I have to try it - thanks for the tip!

      Delete

Follow Me on Pinterest
my foodgawker gallery
Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More